References for Chapters Five-Seven
The following books have been valuable references in the writing of Chapters 5-7 (ISBN numbers on request):
And many more at Books for Transformation.
- "Mind Games - the guide to inner space" by R.E.L. Masters & Jean Houston (1989, Routledge), techniques for mind expansion without the use of drugs.
- "Introduction to Neuro-Linguistic Programming" by Joseph O'Connor & John Seymour (1990, Crucible), an excellent explanation of NLP principles.
- "The White Hole in Time - Our future evolution and the meaning of Now" by Peter Russell (1982, Aquarian Press).
- "The Rebirth of Nature -The Greening of Science & God" by Rupert Sheldrake (1991, Rider).
- "Freedom From the Known" by Krishnamurti (1991, Victor Gollancz).
- "Beyond the Brain - Birth, Death & Transcendence in Psychotherapy" by Stanislav Grof (1985, State University of NY).
- "The Transpersonal - Psychotherapy & counseling" by John Rowan (1993, Routledge).
- "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot (1991, Grafton Books).
- "Stalking the Wild Pendulum - On the mechanics of consciousness" by Itzhak Benthov (1988, Destiny Books).
- "The Atman Project - A Transpersonal View of Human Development" by Ken Wilber (1980, Quest).
- "The Spectrum of Consciousness" by Ken Wilber (1977, Quest).
- "The Awakened Mind" by C. Maxwell Cade & Nona Coxhead (1979, Wildwood House).
- "The Turning Point" by Fritjof Capra (1982, Simon & Schuster).
- "The Quantum Self" by Danah Zohar (1990, Flamingo).
Two People Essential To This Project
For 30 years Gregory Mitchell researched and developed the techniques for Biofeedback Monitoring as applied to mind development. In particular he developed techniques for monitoring the differentiation between left and right cortical hemispheres in the psychotherapeutic context. I was fortunate to work with Gregory for several years and his wide-ranging teachings are a major influence on the content of Transforming the Mind, and are also a foundation for the introductory New Life Course course.
Gregory went on to research at the most advanced levels of Mind Development and discovered many further important insights - in particular, original work on mnemonics, artificial languages and logic. The latest research by cognitive scientists is only now begining to uncover the ideas and methods that Gregory Mitchell had been working with for 30 years!
Before he retired in 1994, Gregory granted Trans4mind the rights to further develop and edit his materials in order to offer a series of home-study courses through the Internet. The foundation courses are now in place, and over the next few years there will be some 12 courses in total, which will cover the complete spectrum of cognitive development.
Through my work with Gregory, I was introduced to his mother, Irene Mumford. What a family! It turned out that she too had spent her life researching and developing profound techniques for consciousness expansion that take off from the point where Gregory's work leads up to. She developed advanced techniques for spiritual transformation utilizing biofeedback monitoring. Since her passing on in '91, I have worked hard on the materials she left and now present them in the form of the The Insight Project course. The Insight Project is firmly based on her work. I have edited and added to the materials as a result of my own experience and knowledge and in particular what I have learnt in supervising the work of the many students Irene originally started on the project and the new people introduced through this site. Irene is much loved and missed. Through the Internet I hope to introduce new students to the phenomenal practical techniques of The Insight Project and so continue her work.