The ego, having established a sense of the unity between mind and body, and a sense of the continuity of time (through the semantic program), is then cast in the role of the executant of the archetypal blue print of the life cycle that is systematically encoded within the genetic Self. This function the ego proceeds to perform in the illusion that it is a free agent, the master of its fate, the captain of its soul. In fact it is but a fragmentation, an aspect of the Self that is manifest in space and time. In the course of being actualized, the core Self is inevitably constrained by the living circumstances of the growing individual, especially by the personality and culture of his parents and the nature of his relationship with them.
Incarnation entails sacrifice: it means fragmentation and distortion of the original undifferentiated archetypal state: many aspects of the Self will prove unacceptable to the family and cultural milieu and be repressed, whilst others will remain as archetypal potential, which may or may not be activated at a later date. The extent of this distortion is the factor that makes all the difference between neurosis and mental health and individual transcendence of the Self. The life-long struggle of each individual to achieve some resolution of the dissonance between the needs of the conscious personality and the dictates of the Self, and to discover the aspect of individuality that is intuitively felt to transcend both of these states, is at the very heart of the individuation process.
Most of us have yet to understand the dimension of our Being that is not genetically encoded, but is the operator of the human bio-computer and ultimately the creator or meta-programmer of this information-system we are living in.
Individuation is not blindly living out the life-cycle; it is living it consciously and responsibly, and is ultimately a matter of ethics. It is a conscious attempt to bring the universal program of human existence to its fullest possible expression in the life of the individual, and further to expand beyond this programming, not only for oneself but as a member of the human race.
What we seem to be - to ourselves and to others - is only a fraction of what there is in us to be. This is the secret of man's 'Divine discontent'. Yet for those who have ears to hear, the call to individuate ('the voice of God within') is constantly transmitted to the ego by the Self, coming from the Higher Self. Unfortunately, reception is often jammed by interference from the repressed Subconscious; and such is our extroverted concern with the struggle for survival, that few of us hear these inner incitements to greater Self-fulfillment. Most of us have yet to understand the dimension of our Being that is not genetically encoded, but is the operator of the human bio-computer and ultimately the creator or meta-programmer of this information-system we are living in. This understanding is a process of differentiation of the different aspects of the self that we clump together as one identity ('Me') in one (the current) consciousness state.
Move on to Types of Culture
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
New Life Course - our foundation home-study course that comes with full email support. It will help you become clearer about your own identity, what you want in life - your life vision - and how to consciously transform your life for the better.
The Insight Project - if you are looking for self-knowledge and to rediscover your full spiritual truth then you need our advanced course, which utilizes biofeedback monitoring.
The Holosync Solution - audio brain-wave entrainment to effortlessly and pleasurably open up and clear the deepest shadows of your mind. The perfect accompaniment to Trans4mind courses.
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.