At school, even organized games become a serious matter involving school prestige and personal status, and the sheer fun element is remorselessly squeezed out. The paratelic nature of sport is misunderstood even at the level of professional sports coaching. Relaxation techniques are used as a panacea to nervousness (e.g. subliminal affirmations under light trance, autogenics and meditation with biofeedback). This does have some value as a resource, to be able to switch off and save mental energy when appropriate, but this emphasis further serves to discourage a person in the telic state from experiencing high arousal and confronting the resulting anxiety and the causes of it, and from learning to be able to reverse high arousal into paratelic consciousness. The use of such techniques in stress management and personal enhancement has the same limitations.
However high arousal is the essence of paratelic involvement, where skills are practiced without inhibitory second-thoughts and nervousness. People participate in sports as an opportunity to experience pleasurable high arousal safely, and they spectate for the same reason. Attention should be on helping the individual to enter the paratelic mode and to maintain high involvement; this requires helping him to overcome reactive reversals from the paratelic - those neurotic response-patterns that embody distorted thinking. Alongside this, the individual needs to be taught how to retain his involvement whilst simultaneously accessing telic awareness - this demands proper integration of the left and right hemispheres.
These principles would apply to any creative and skilful activity. The need for high arousal in performance is recognized in other ways, e.g. the coach will give the team a pep-talk and try and 'psyche' them up. In acting it is realized that stage fright can enhance performance. But these are both telic states; there is the hope and expectation that a reversal will occur to translate that tension into paratelic involvement as soon as the play gets going. However there is the fear that a reversal back to telic may occur at any time and an inhibitory detachment resulting in 'stage death'.
Participants in high risk sports such as motor racing and rock climbing, experience exhilaration when facing and overcoming danger (providing they are taking risks within their experience and competence, they are able to retain the paratelic state). The process of transferring anxiety and fear into pleasurable excitement composes the very essence of participation.
Paratelic high arousal is felt to be a 'peak experience' of flowing involvement, where time loses all semblance of meaning.
Most people will be able to identify an activity that they attempted initially with a degree of fear, only to find that as they mastered the skills involved, a pleasurable sensation ensued. For some it might have been their first jump off the 3 metre board into the swimming pool, their first attempt at public speaking, or driving a car for the first time. For others it might have been the first attempt down a stretch of white water in a canoe, a parachute jump, abseiling down a cliff face or surfing large waves. There was a reversal from interpreting high arousal as anxiety to interpreting it as excitement.
A good deal of interest has centered on the achievement of altered states of consciousness in sport. Paratelic high arousal is felt to be a 'peak experience' of flowing involvement, where time loses all semblance of meaning. The individual experiences total happiness, a loss of fears, inhibitions, weaknesses and insecurities that often plague most of us. These are moments of great maturity and fulfillment, in which there is a sense of unity, inner strength and wholeness of being. The person experiences a total fascination and awe of the matter at hand, as though he were 'absorbed' in the experience. This is the same process as experienced by mystics, artists and any person who is able to live life to the full in this way.
This reversal can of course operate in the opposite way, brought about by a sudden threat, a near miss whilst driving, falling off the board or whatever. Hence the reversals between anxiety and excitement may be short lived or permanent. Loss of form in sport is inevitably the result of motivational reversal, where the player becomes unable to sustain participatory arousal, and his attempts at high-arousal become telic anxiety.
Move on to Sex
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.