Particularly within formal education, where the skills involved in creating should be given maximum opportunity to flourish and develop, there is precious little understanding of the frames of mind responsible for creative thought and of the nature of the teaching strategies that facilitate their expression. After the early years of schooling, the educational system seems to become dominated by telic thinking and to militate ever more strongly against the paratelic state. There is ample emphasis upon the telic aspects of creativity as the preparation and verification stages, but little allowance for the paratelic joy of illumination, or for the spontaneous outflow of powerful feelings. The editor rules, though all too often the author is unable to supply him with anything worth the editing.
After the early years of schooling, the educational system seems to become dominated by telic thinking and to militate ever more strongly against the paratelic state.
Since examinations are a serious matter, the student approaches them in a highly telic state and any arousal is experienced as anxiety, with all the inhibitions that anxiety can bring to bear upon both memory and creative expression. Since they are carefully timed affairs, it virtually rules out the stage of incubation. Small wonder that the resulting papers are usually stereotyped, lack flair and imagination, and fail to probe deeply and come up with original solutions. That is how students have been taught to use their minds, perhaps as a reflection of the teachers themselves, pressurised by strict timetables and limited curriculums.
A natural result of this approach is that students are soon conditioned to fear possibilities for making mistakes, of revealing ignorance or showing their feelings. This fear causes telic anxiety and they prefer to operate at low arousal. They then get bored, start to misbehave, the teachers react with more restriction and a negative learning spiral is established.
Move on to Sport
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
New Life Course - our foundation home-study course that comes with full email support. It will help you become clearer about your own identity, what you want in life - your life vision - and how to consciously transform your life for the better.
The Insight Project - if you are looking for self-knowledge and to rediscover your full spiritual truth then you need our advanced course, which utilizes biofeedback monitoring.
The Holosync Solution - audio brain-wave entrainment to effortlessly and pleasurably open up and clear the deepest shadows of your mind. The perfect accompaniment to Trans4mind courses.
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.