An individual's sense of motivation in life is intrinsically linked to past experiences where he has 'pushed the boat out' and made an attempt to make an adventure of his life. In practice, situations or events that lead to increased arousal and excitement may be experienced as stressful, and may produce adverse somatic and psychological consequences for individuals who remain in a 'held back' telic state of mind. On the other hand those who are in or revert quickly to the paratelic (involved) state may not only be unaffected but may actually thrive and flourish in the same situation.
Most of us have known individuals who appear to thrive on stress. A seemingly endless series of mishaps, disappointments and calamities may befall them, and they maintain a cheery outlook, a buoyant sense of humor, and an apparently indomitable spirit. To such individuals, the kinds of events and situations that would be regarded as threatening sources of stresses by others, are seen as exciting challenges to be met and overcome.
A person who has not become fixated into one or other of the motivational states has at least the chance to lead a successful, capable and creative life, since he has the capacity to learn.
The strongly paratelic individual could be said to have a higher threshold for high-arousal stress; however, that the same individual may be more susceptible than a telic-dominant person to the stress that results from under-stimulation. Since low arousal is unpleasant in the paratelic state, he will be the first to become depressed, despondent and 'stressed' in monotonous, tedious or boring situations. On the other hand, these situations will be viewed as relaxing and undemanding by the telic-dominant person.
It is not possible to progress from a state of relaxation to one of pleasurable excitement without a period (however fleeting) of either boredom or anxiety, to necessitate the change in mode. Similarly, a progression from excitement to relaxation must involve either a drop in stimulation and a period of boredom, or a period of anxiety that motivates a search for less arousing telic relaxation.
In the same way, telic anxiety may move to paratelic boredom only via a period of relaxation, or via a period of pleasurable arousal in the paratelic mode. The somewhat mechanical nature of these reversals gave rise to Gurdjieff's appraisal, that 'man is a machine', albeit a self-determined one. However, a person who has not become fixated into one or other of the motivational states has at least the chance to lead a successful, capable and creative life, since he has the capacity to learn, using the learning cycle mentioned earlier, to create positive COEXs of useful skills. This requires a reasonably well-integrated brain, so blocks do not inhibit access to the appropriate states.
Move on to Telic Dominance
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.