We have a subjective illusion that we are able to deal with a large number of variables simultaneously. In fact our capacity to simultaneously hold several items at once in our minds, is limited by our mental 'symbol space'. An ability to represent at least four symbols is required, in order to be able to perceive in two dimensions - as in plotting an item on a graph with two axes. A symbol space of eight is required for three dimensions - the corners of a cube. With four dimensions (such as adding the dimension of 'time' to a three-dimensional space) requires a symbol space of 16 - a level reached by only one person in ten thousand. In order to perceive a fifth dimension (such as the element of causative choice - the spiritual dimension exterior to space-time) would require a conceptual symbol-space of 25. So basically, with an average symbol space of just seven - seven numbers can be remembered in a sequence before the first number is lost - we are capable of thinking about just three dimensions, with some effort.
This principle, of simultaneous, spatial attention, is a right-brain facility. It is crucial to creativity, because using the symbol space, a network of ideas, facts and perceptions can be inter-related and compared, and in the process new relationships, or new ideas, are perceived in an intuitive way. By the expansion of symbol space, the acquisition of multi-dimensional 'knowledge-rich' networks from which insights may be derived is facilitated. Techniques such as drawing, story-telling and mnemonic visualization involve inter-action with the right-hemisphere. As the symbol space expands, the blockages to right-brain communication - in terms of repressed feelings - are exposed. The individual becomes progressively more in control and objective to his inner space and experience.
Move on to Reality Testing
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self. This technology is a life changer -- get started today.
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.