The Higher Mind
How does the spiritual Being fit into this picture. The Being is able to adopt a viewpoint from which to perceive and to have considerations, opinions and intentions. This is one kind of mind - a Higher Mind. The Being also has the ability to get itself into a right mess, stuck in a fixed identity - such as identifying with a human body in order to perceive through the human, to experience life and express itself through that organic system.
But the human body also has a life of its own - it is a genetic entity - a life form programmed by genes. It is a wonderful animal, on a higher plane of evolution than other animals. It is further conditioned by stimulus-response learning, in which trauma and cultural pressures play a part. It has inbuilt survival drives and develops a more or less sophisticated intelligence, the first phases of cognitive and linguistic development described above. It may also be programmed by the Being that identifies with it. This second kind of mind, that of a located identity, therefore has both analytical and reactive programs, both of which may be distorted. In the case of a human being, the imprinted mental programs are carried out by the brain, an incredibly sophisticated computer.
A stimulus, such as an image or perception, may cause an increase or decrease of brain arousal, if the stimulus is interpreted as frightening or reassuring. This stress or relaxation response is transmitted throughout the nervous system, and is measurable as a change in skin resistance. Increase in tension and arousal will cause a fall of resistance on the Biofeedback Monitor, and relaxation or detachment will cause a rise (and corresponding movement of the needle). Overwhelm would cause a dramatic drop in resistance and dissociation would cause a long rise. A 'periodic' needle pattern, on the other hand, occurs when there is no reactive activity or conflict occurring between the body-mind (the composite) and the Being and there is an intuitive (non-verbal) open-channel to the Being. The needle follows the gentle pulse - reach and withdraw - of this communication line.
If the Higher Mind and the body-mind are not differentiated, confusion results. Part of the misunderstanding stems from an identification of the thinking personality, the left-brain verbal intelligence, with the awareness of awareness that is the Being. The verbal intelligence is very much 'of the brain', whereas the Being is not 'of the brain' but influences the brain through non-verbal communication and subtle energies.
The brain does have functions, they can be improved, and these functions relate directly to spiritual awareness.
Because the communication of the Being is non-verbal and picturegraphic, the right hemisphere is the medium for such communication. This is the nature of 'intuition': the Being communicating via the right-brain to the left, expressing awareness often in the form of metaphor or symbolic images, in order to relay intentions. For the Being to be able to influence all of the body-mind's activities, depends therefore upon integration of the left and right hemispheres, so that the brain is 'awake' and not obscuring this direct communication line.
The following diagram illustrates how the Being (YOU) inter-relates with the human body-mind:
The Being is able to operate a mind quite independently from the brain, recording and assessing life as it goes by and communicating pictures to the right brain. These then change the body-mind's emotional arousal level and affect the biofeedback monitor. The body-mind has learnt the programs for 'intelligence': it can do an IQ test unaided by the Being. Only the Being, however, has knowingness, awareness of its own goals and creative intention - will and choice. Being essentially outside of space and time, it has an objective viewpoint that is unaffected by the reactive mental processes of the body-mind subconscious. It is the source of the highest values of life, love and truth.
Move on to The Three Worlds
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - plus an exceptional accompanying article, to inspire you throughout the week.
And as a bonus when you've confirmed your subscription, freely download your choice of 250 eBooks in the Transformational eBook Collection - including Peter Shepherd's book, 'Daring to Be Yourself'!
Subscribe now... it's free!
Please look out for an email asking you to confirm your subscription request.
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.