Throughout life an individual will develop many defenses to protect himself against any real or imagined threat to his functioning. When the heart stops a beat or races we experience anxiety at the very core of our being. When a person has built up solid defenses (that soon become unconscious response-patterns or automatic behavior) he will not allow his heart to be touched easily and will not respond to the world from his heart. The defenses work in layers:
I. The core or heart from which the feeling to love and be loved derives, at the center of which is the soul or spiritual identity. This is always present, even if defenses on further layers make it unconscious.
II. The emotional layer of feelings that include the suppressed feelings of rage, anxiety, panic or terror, despair, sadness and pain.
III. The muscular layer in which is found the chronic muscular tensions that support and justify the ego defenses and at the same time protect the person against expressing the underlying layer of suppressed feelings that he dare not express.
IV. The ego layer is the outermost layer of the basic sense of self or identity, and that contains the typical ego defenses of denial, distrust, blaming, projections (other-determined viewpoints), plus rationalizations (excuses) and intellectualizations.
The breakdown of defenses has necessarily to consider each of these layers. While we can help a person become conscious of his tendencies to deny, blame, project or rationalize, this awareness rarely affects the muscular tensions or releases the suppressed feelings. If these layers are not cleared, the conscious awareness can easily degenerate into a different type of rationalization with a concomitant but altered form of denial and projection.
Assuming it is possible to eliminate every defensive position in the personality, how would such an 'open' person function?
The four layers still exist but now they are coordinating and expressive layers rather than defensive ones. Core impulses reach the real world. The person puts his heart into everything he does. He loves doing whatever he chooses, whether it is work, play or sex. He can be angry, sad, joyful or frightened depending on the situation. These feelings represent genuine responses since they are free from contamination by suppressed emotions stemming from childhood experiences. And since his muscular layer is free from chronic tensions, his movements reflect his feelings and are subject to the control of the ego - they are appropriate, meaningful and coordinated.
The use of the Biofeedback Monitor in counseling helps reach through the outer defenses to detect emotional charge and this can then be fully contacted and re-experienced and so released, with cognitive insight (into the ego-defenses) naturally accompanying the process. Tensions in the muscular layer are no longer supported and can dissolve -- this process is much enhanced by therapeutic bodywork such as 'rolfing' or 'biodynamic' massage, and by Alexander or Feldenkrais postural techniques.
Move on to The Structure of Problems
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.