There is another important factor that may make it difficult to access the memories of early childhood. The dominant brain wave activity of children under the age of six is in the four to eight hertz range associated with Theta, bridging into Alpha, in adults. These lower frequency brain-waves in adults are usually associated with reverie and dreaming, and usually occur only in the transition from wakefulness into sleep. As Dr. Thomas Budzynski and others have shown in recent years, however, Theta and Alpha brain-wave production in adults is a vital component of learning and memory encoding.
Clinical results at several centers have indicated that EEG brain-wave training can provide reliable access to the Alpha-Theta consciousness states of early childhood. This suggests a physical basis for the "inner child" metaphor. The surfacing of early childhood memories during Theta brain-wave entrainment (through EEG biofeedback or binaural entrainment) also fits Charles Tart's observations of "state-dependent memory", i.e. that information learned while in an altered state of consciousness is more difficult to access when in another state of consciousness. This equally applies to dreams, past life, between-lives or out-of-body experiences.
Facilitating access to the consciousness state of early childhood, where rapid learning was easy, also increases access to the right-brain non-verbal holistic awareness described as enlightening by mystics of all religions.
The natural shift in dominant brain-wave frequencies during maturation could therefore result in disturbing childhood experience being preserved in the unconscious - because the adult cannot access the state required to re-assess them - and reactivated reactively in adult life, causing dysfunctional behavior. It is effectively "unexperienced experience" as far as the adult is concerned, and the brain-wave frequencies associated with the painful experience are henceforth unconsciously avoided or repressed, the material only resurfacing in the context of dreaming. Censoring or suppressing these "child-like" frequencies also denies access to the positive capabilities associated with them, such as intuitive and holistic insight and the ability to freely visualise, which are closely linked to psychic ability and spiritual awareness.
Furthermore, the moments of insight in therapy occur when dominant brain-wave frequencies are near the interface of adult Alpha and Theta rhythms, i.e. the 7-8 Hz range. To facilitate access to the consciousness state of early childhood, where rapid learning was easy, also increases access to the right-brain non-verbal holistic awareness described as enlightening by mystics of all religions.
To achieve this in the context of a therapy session, it is first necessary for the client to be relaxed and thoroughly involved in the session. It helps to use a comfortable reclining chair with head support. Secondly, the client may listen to an appropriate binaural signal through stereo headphones, which entrains brain-waves towards the desired frequency. The headphones should be of the transparent type so that the client can still hear the therapist easily; alternatively, with closed headphones, the therapist can use a microphone to communicate to the client, mixed with the binaural signal.
Also, when running incidents, the eyes should be closed. The binaural signal generator produces a supplementary Beta (high frequency) signal that keeps the client alert and prevents the drowsiness that tends to occur automatically when the eyes are closed.
Because of the efficacy of such methods, binaural stimulation as an adjunct to therapy should only be administered by a therapist with considerable experience of successfully running traumatic experiences without binaural stimulation, and then only when the more straightforward approach of rational emotive therapy is not appropriate.
The binaural method should not be used with clients who are neurotic or highly anxious; such persons should be brought into normal stability with more objective methods. Psychotic persons should not be run on any traumatic handlings but should only examine pleasurable experiences or the wrong indications about themselves (given by others or as a result of their own distorted thinking) that caused them to introspect compulsively.
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Continue to the next article, Recovering Memories
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.