When memories are recalled by the adult, there is a mass of information that could potentially come into consciousness, so in order to make this manageable there is a subconscious analytical filtering process that selects material for conscious attention. Material is recognized, its relevance, value and importance weighted and the most relevant is passed upwards for conscious attention. In attempting to recall early experiences, a person will therefore be filtering information in this way. Being used to adult representation, he may fail to recognize childhood experiences in the way that they were actually stored and unconsciously filter the recall of kinesthetic, emotional and auditory perceptic information as being irrelevant. Also the process is subject to the fears of the ego and prejudices of the Superego. This filtering process also occurs during sleep, and dreams represent the material symbolically.
For these reasons it is necessary to pay particular attention to "felt" experience and to review experiences several times, so that all the information is open to inspection and can be re-evaluated from the adult point of view. When the person's feeling (in the right brain) can be exactly and truthfully realized then it can be described and so filed cognitively by the left-brain, and the block will have been released. In so doing the person will probably realize the irrationality of his previous beliefs that were at the root of his feeling - such distorted thinking as over-generalizing and exaggerating, misconceptions based on false assumptions or fixed ideas, unreasonable intolerances, or manipulated behavior due to adopted oughts, shoulds and musts that had been enforced upon him.
By thoroughly and honestly looking at a traumatic experience or problematic situation, the falsehoods and lies in the person's perception of it will become apparent and the irrationality will disappear.
Incidents are viewed when their content has become reactivated and is dominating the person's attention. By thoroughly running through the most recent incident, the person becomes able to re-experience all of the original perceptions, feelings and thoughts, to re-experience his behavior and point of view at the time. When the person is comfortable and able to accept the whole of the incident, which may take many re-runs through it with new data being progressively uncovered, this has the effect of removing the charge from that experience such that it no longer obscures the previous incident in the sequence. This too can then be viewed, and the sequence followed back to the root or basic incident.
When the first intention or reach is uncovered the whole sequence is then cleared of charge. The individual can see clearly, for the first time, how and why irrational conclusions had been reached, and then the imprint is released - it no longer has any power to impinge on the person's thinking. The action-cycle can be ended and new self-determined decisions can then be made.
The principle that applies here and in all Transformational Psychology analysis, is that by thoroughly and honestly looking at a traumatic experience or problematic situation, the falsehoods and lies in the person's perception of it will become apparent and the irrationality will disappear.
An irrational decision resulting from painful experience will affect the individual's feelings and behavior in present time, and when this is exposed there is no need to revisit the original experience that empowers the irrationality. This is the preferred method when the original experience is not consciously in re-stimulation. Similarly, deliberately and self-determinedly dramatizing a behavior pattern or way of thinking that is normally an automatic, programmed or imprinted response to environmental or mental stimuli, will expose the circuit to inspection and it will blow.
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Continue to the next article, State-dependent Memory
MOST SHARED ON TRANS4MIND.COM THIS WEEK...
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.