Modes of Representation
During the course of a child's development there are changes in the way that it represents (i.e. stores and retrieves) information that is perceived through the senses. A small infant is limited to the actions that it can make upon the world surrounding it, when it first learns to separate the world into "me" and "not me", discovering its body schema. From then on its learning consists of developing and revising that schema as it performs more operations on the outside world and learns from the effects that result.
It is hard to imagine how a baby thinks. It cannot yet think in pictures of objects because it has not really discovered what objects are yet, or what properties they have, in a real enough way to picture them. Instead it remembers things as a kind of "muscle memory" (in the sensori-motor kinesthetic system) using an internal representation of the "feel" of things to code the information.
A baby remembers things as a kind of "muscle memory" using an internal representation of the "feel" of things to code the information.
Before 4 or 5 years of age traumatic memories and their accompanying considerations and decisions that affect future behavior are not available to recall in the way that an adult recalls, like a full-perceptic movie, but rather in terms of emotional body-centered feelings of needs and wants or fears and pains, although there will be an element of auditory or visual imagery particularly accompanying poignant moments. There will be hardly any visual representation of the first eighteen months, before the individual starts to walk and talk.
Between 4 and 8 years of age the predominant representation has become auditory, with memories featuring received commands. During this period the child develops realistic internal imaging of the world around him, so that by 7 or 8 years of age a concrete visual mode of representation has become the predominant way of thinking about and remembering experience.
Pretty soon though, the child's world widens further still, until it includes information that isn't easily represented using pictures. Try imaging a concept like "freedom" or "fairness". When this happens the child becomes more likely to use symbolic representation, including inner speech, using words as formalised symbols that "stand for" the concepts. At this point the child's own decisions and intentions may be expressed as inner speech, whereas before they were "felt" intentions.
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Continue to the next article, Filtering
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - plus an exceptional accompanying article, to inspire you throughout the week.
And as a bonus when you've confirmed your subscription, freely download your choice of 250 eBooks in the Transformational eBook Collection - including Peter Shepherd's book, 'Daring to Be Yourself'!
Subscribe now... it's free!
Please look out for an email asking you to confirm your subscription request.
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.