It's Their Responsibility
Recognition of what is not your responsibility is as important as realizing what you are responsible for. It is necessary to let go of the responsibility for the painful events of your childhood and put it where it belongs. Visualise the little and helpless Child that you were (perhaps with the help of a childhood photograph) and say out loud to that child:
'You were not responsible for...'
1. The way they ignored or neglected you
2. The way they made you feel unloved or unlovable
3. Their cruel or thoughtless teasing
4. The bad names they called you
5. Their unhappiness
6. Their problems
7. Their choice not to do anything about their problems
8. What they did when they were drinking
9. Their hitting you
10. Their molesting you.
Add any other painful, repetitive experiences that you have always felt responsible for.
The second part of this exercise involves assigning the responsibility where it belongs to the parents. To do this, address the Child within, and repeat every applicable item on the above list, but precede it now with the words:
'My parents were responsible for....'
Again, add anything that is relevant to your personal experience.
Taking personal responsibility
Putting responsibility where it realistically belongs squarely on your parents' shoulders does not give you license to excuse all your self-defeating behaviors by saying 'It was all their fault'. The following list will help you to focus on some of your Adult responsibilities, as they apply to your relationship to your parents. Say out loud:
'As an adult, in relationship to my parents, I am responsible for...
1. Becoming a separate individual from my parents
2. Looking honestly at my relationship with them
3. Facing the truth about my childhood
4. Having the courage to acknowledge the connections between events of my childhood and my adult life
5. Gaining the courage to express my real feelings to them
6. Confronting and diminishing the power and control they have over my life, whether they are alive or dead
7. Changing my own behavior when it is imitative of my parents manipulative, critical or hurtful ways
8. Reclaiming my Adult power and confidence.
Some of these goals may be easier than others, but they are all attainable; you can free the Child within you from perpetual punishment.
Move on to Toxic Relationships
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self. This technology is a life changer -- get started today.
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.