Communication in Therapy
The therapist in Transpersonal Psychology plays a very different role to that of the traditional Freudian or Jungian psychoanalyst. His role is to receive the client's communication in a non-evaluative manner, simply suggesting things when appropriate for the client to consider, to help explore thoughts and feelings in a conflict, e.g. "What problem could that [adopted strategy] be a solution to?", may help to reveal a defense.
The kind of things the therapist may direct the client to look at are typically: family, sexuality, upsets, negations (situations and people that are backed-off from or suppressed), compulsions, inhibitions, loneliness, guilt, work, creativity, aims and purposes, and so on - in short, whatever is holding the attention of the client at that time.
The therapist must be totally adept with the basic elements of a cycle of communication, those elements that are necessary for an effective communication to take place. In training, these are isolated and practiced until the therapist is proficient:
Above all the therapist should not impose his own evaluations and judgments in any way - however helpfully intended, these are not helpful to the client who must find out the truth of his situation for himself.
The therapist must be able to "be here now" and to be able to maintain that calm and transparent neutrality even when provoked to emotionally respond. He is then a "safe receipt point" for the client's communication, which may be sensitive and personal. Any invalidation at this point by a reaction of, say, disgust or frustration or mockery, would destroy the therapeutic relationship. Habitual social responses have to be controlled and this requires an objective viewpoint, a "self-remembering", a willingness for reactive responses to happen and flow away, without manifesting visibly.
The therapist needs to be able to make himself clearly heard and understood, and to know when this has occurred. He must be able to comfortably originate questions to the client, to acknowledge an answer or to repeat the question until it is satisfactorily answered. Of course he must be thoroughly familiar with the theory and procedures of the model on which the therapy is based, but with true understanding so that he can analyze realistically the client in front of him, not a hypothetical client. He must be able to handle answers and comments smoothly and not lose track of his original question. This should be friendly and natural, certainly not robotic or rote, which requires the therapist to really listen - he should be interested not interesting - all his attention should be on the person and what is said, not on his own emotional reaction and mind wanderings. Above all he should not impose his own evaluations and judgments in any way - however helpfully intended, these are not helpful to the client who must find out the truth of his situation for himself.
These principles may of course be used in everyday life, to restore order to the confused communications typical of so many personal relationships. Communication is the solvent of all problems. If you can comfortably hold your location and space, and view a difficult situation, and make the necessary communications, then any problem will dissolve, the confusion will blow off and the actual reality will be apparent. If it is not confronted in this way, i.e so that it can be viewed with equanimity, the situation will become a problem with resulting indecision and anxiety as it becomes more fixed, solid and serious.
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Continue to the next article, Discharging Traumatic Incidents
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.