Under sufficient stress, the Adult can be impaired to the point where the Parent or Child take over inappropriately and reactively. They have been reactivated overwhelmingly by similar situations to the original recordings, and the "I" takes on the identity of the Parent or Child viewpoint - that of imposing on or being imposed on; of dominating commandingly or feeling dominated; of controlling or being controlled; of being cause or being effect; of opposing or being opposed. Most people, in their transactions, compulsively and unknowingly slip into Parent or Child type sub-personalities.
The ego has the task of bringing the influence of the external reality to bear on the id and endeavors to substitute the reality principle for the pleasure principle that reigns supreme in the id.
In Freudian terms, individual behavior is determined by the "id" forces (the unconscious instinctual drives, the uncurbed passion of the child, the raw requirements of primitive thinking), under control of the conscious function of the "ego,", which itself has been modified by the development of an ego-ideal or "Superego", a learned mode of controlling the ego, which may consist of conscious belief systems linked to Subconscious roots.
As Freud says, "The ego is the part of the id that has been modified by the direct influence of the perception-consciousness system. The ego has the task of bringing the influence of the external reality to bear on the id and endeavors to substitute the reality principle for the pleasure principle that reigns supreme in the id. In the ego, perception plays the part which in the id devolves upon instinct".
The Child, then, is the world of feelings and the id; this corresponds to right-brain mental processes.
The Parent is the hypnotic world of commands, the superego that directs his conscience; this corresponds to left-brain verbal belief systems with repressed right-brain emotional and traumatic components, and with energetic roots into the unconscious primal lower-brain.
The Adult is the mature ego of rational thought and free expression; this corresponds to integrated functioning with the left and right brain in un-repressed inter-active communication.
The stereotyped, habituated combination of all these is the "persona", Jung's term for the mask that is one's presumed face to the world. This mask will be switched as the ego reactively identifies with one or other dominant sub-personality from his collection of Parent- or Child-type identities, to meet the perceived demands of his circumstances. He will tend to have a chronic, seemingly permanent mask that he identifies as his personality, as "me!", but also many temporary masks for acute situations, which he may not even realize he possesses and uses, since they are adopted reactively and sub-consciously.
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents.
Continue to the next article, Man the Machine
New Life Course - our foundation home-study course that comes with full email support. It will help you become clearer about your own identity, what you want in life - your life vision - and how to consciously transform your life for the better.
The Insight Project - if you are looking for self-knowledge and to rediscover your full spiritual truth then you need our advanced course, which utilizes biofeedback monitoring.
The Holosync Solution - audio brain-wave entrainment to effortlessly and pleasurably open up and clear the deepest shadows of your mind. The perfect accompaniment to Trans4mind courses.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self. This technology is a life changer -- get started today.
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.