Stress - The Cost of Fear
As far as the body is concerned, fear is a danger signal - it responds with an automatic reaction called the "fight-flight response". The heart rate quickens, blood pressure rises, breathing is disturbed, muscles become tense, the skin begins to sweat, while digestion, reproduction and other processes that will not be needed for the moment are turned down. The body is preparing for action - to flee or to fight.
In contemporary society such threats are few and far between. Our mastery of the world has enabled us to avoid or guard against most such dangers. But this does not mean that we are free from threat; human beings have created a whole new set of things to worry about. Our need to feel in control may be threatened by imposed workloads, tight deadlines, crowded schedules. We may feel threatened by traffic jams, delayed flights, incompetent staff, unexpected demands and anything else that might cost us time. Our need for self-esteem, recognition and approval can be threatened by the fear of failure, the fear of looking foolish in front of others, fear of criticism and the fear of being rejected. Uncertainty or anything else that makes us feel insecure can likewise be perceived as a threat.
Usually these turn out to be a false alarm, but the body cannot unwind and recover so quickly to a state of ease as the second it took to jump to alert. The body seldom has time to recover from one alarm before the next one has triggered. Before long our bodies end up in a permanent state of underlying tension. This background tension then feeds back and begins to affect our thinking, emotions and behavior. Our judgment deteriorates, we tend to make more mistakes, we may feel depressed, hostile towards others, act less rationally, and so on. The toll on our bodies manifests in various ways: aches and pains, indigestion, insomnia, high blood pressure, allergies, illness - sometimes leading to premature death.
Return to Transforming the Mind - Contents
Continue to the next article, Rational Thinking
New Life Course - our foundation home-study course that comes with full email support. It will help you become clearer about your own identity, what you want in life - your life vision - and how to consciously transform your life for the better.
The Insight Project - if you are looking for self-knowledge and to rediscover your full spiritual truth then you need our advanced course, which utilizes biofeedback monitoring.
The Holosync Solution - audio brain-wave entrainment to effortlessly and pleasurably open up and clear the deepest shadows of your mind. The perfect accompaniment to Trans4mind courses.
Top 10 Downloads:
MOST SHARED ON TRANS4MIND.COM THIS WEEK...
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Holosync is the most powerful meditation, personal growth and mind development tool available. Meditating with the aid of Holosync is effortless and deeply relaxing - plus it enables you to make quantum leaps in awareness and emotional health...