How Can I Set Myself up as a Counselor?
I am the mother of 7. My oldest is 40 and my youngest is 19. I am having a hard time letting go and have feeling of worthlessness. I am 60 and am now a grad student in Community Counseling but I have fears of wasting my money because I am too old and no one will hear me. I could do my own thing, like retreats, which is what I would like, but I am not very good at self promoting. My grades are very good and my life experience is extensive. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
I feel you definitely need a new purpose to your life to replace your role as a mother. It is impossible for me to tell you whether or you are barking up the wrong tree in seeking to be a Community Counselor – indeed it is unwise to even ask me this question because it is a matter for yourself. Learn to trust your inner guidance when it comes to making major decisions rather than rely on a stranger's opinion.
However I can help you understand your situation. My advice to you is to see the Community Counseling as a hobby rather than the means of earning an income. If you need to work for money get a job that suits, is fulfilling and provides enough income. Then if you feel drawn to work as a community counselor and do retreats, ease your way into this role by perhaps running a retreat on a voluntary basis in aid of a local charity. Running retreats on this basis will help you attract help with promotion. This approach will take all the pressure away and you will enjoy seeing yourself develop as a counselor.
If you want help in learning to tune into and trust inner guidance consider ordering my book Unfold Your Wings and Watch Life Take Off.
Further Help and Resources
60 years of age is certainly not too old to begin a successful career, whether or not you chose to start on a gentle gradient by not relying on it immediately as a main source of income. Craig Nathanson has written some good articles for Cultivate Life! about mid-life change of vocation - we suggest you read Is Your Life's Purpose For Sale? and then follow up on his site.
Read more questions on this topic
Free 'Inside Hypnosis' video course...
- Free 3-part introduction to the 'Inside Hypnosis' course ~ Learn hypnosis to help yourself and others. These guys have been teaching hypnosis for 20 years, and it's all the creative, indirect stuff - not old-style authoritarian hypnosis. This is one of the best ways to advance in personal development - so it's definitely worth learning about.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
We believe that technology can be used in a wise and balanced way to improve our lives. That’s why we recommend using Profound Meditation in conjunction with your preferred meditation technique. That could involve breath awareness, witnessing, visualization, mantra, or any other form. In the User Guide, iAwake provide simple meditation instructions that anyone can follow.
Profound Meditation 3.0 includes 19 audio tracks, 430 total minutes and is available for instant download. It provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - to inspire you throughout the week...
Subscribe now... it's free!
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.