Jump to the following topics:
- What is romantic love?
are the characteristics of romantic love?
What is romantic love?
"Romantic love" is an oxymoron; it is romance, but it is not love in
its fullest sense. We go through the motions of love -- the
attentiveness, the sharing, the caring -- but can differentiate
romance from love as we examine romance's other characteristics.
(This chapter is not a condemnation of romance; certainly, romance
can have a delightful place in dating and in a loving
relationship -- but we can avoid some of its pain if we
understand romance's nature, and we do not mistake romantic
infatuation for love.)
are the characteristics of romantic love?
- Romantic love is characterized by intensity. We experience
intense passion, intense pleasure, and intense emotional and
sexual desire. But we might also experience intense
negativity, in the form of jealousy, frustration,
loneliness, longing, and other types of emotional suffering --
during the relationship, and after it ends.
- Romantic love is based on fantasy. We are in love with an
ideal, a "dream." We imagine that this person has every wonderful
trait. One reason for this idealizing is that we are projecting
the anima or animus of our own psyche, and so we see that perfect
male or female superimposed onto the person. In some cases, this
fantasy occurs because the person is unattainable (and is
therefore not present to dispel the fantasy) -- because of a
geographical distance, or a social prohibition (as in the case of
the feuding families of Romeo and Juliet), or a mysterious
- Romantic love breaks down healthy barriers. We become so
focused on the other person and the relationship that we sacrifice
our own identity. Because we have relinquished ourselves, we are
excessively reliant on the other person for our happiness and the
fulfillment of our needs and goals.
- Romantic love is temporary. Because it is based on fantasy, it
cannot continue when we learn more about the person, and we
realize that the person's actual traits differ from those which we
have projected in our fantasy. When we experience this
"dis-illusionment," we have a choice:
- We can terminate the relationship, and then seek a new
person upon whom we can project our unreasonable ideals.
- We can try to build a mature relationship with this real
person who has real faults.
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!
Inspiring Quotes of the Week
When you subscribe to our free service, each Monday you'll receive several transformational quotes on a new topic - with commentary by Peter Shepherd - plus an exceptional accompanying article, to inspire you throughout the week.
And as a bonus when you've confirmed your subscription, freely download your choice of 250 eBooks in the Transformational eBook Collection - including Peter Shepherd's book, 'Daring to Be Yourself'!
Subscribe now... it's free!
Please look out for an email asking you to confirm your subscription request.
Your address will remain 100% confidential and it's just one click to unsubscribe.