Jump to the following topics:
- What is noting?
- The benefits of noting.
- The techniques of
What is noting? It is a meditation
technique in which we simply acknowledge an occurrence, such as
"standing up" or "pleasure." Noting can be used for both external
events and internal events (e.g., thoughts and emotions). This
technique is a means of focusing our attention and achieving an
objective viewpoint. Noting is similar to the Gurdjieff's technique
The benefits of noting.
- It helps us to be attentive to our activities (external or
internal); for example, when we think the word, "pleasure," we are
reinforcing our mindfulness of the state. However, noting might be
considered an intrusion of abstract thinking if we prefer to
experience the state non-verbally.
- We can create an impersonal, non-judgmental state in which we
are less attached to the action; for example, we are
observing the "pleasure" rather than experiencing an
identification with it (i.e., "I am feeling pleasure").
Thus, we can disengage from unwanted states more easily. But we do
not try to change whatever we are noting; we merely
- We become more conscious of the ever-changing flow of
phenomena, thoughts, and moods. For example, a minute ago, we
noted that we were "worried" but now we note that we are "happy."
With this perception (and our verbal affirming of the perception),
we dismantle the limiting concept that we are any particular type
of person ("happy" or "worried"); thus, we are free to acknowledge
more aspects of ourselves.
The techniques of noting.
- We can note during any activity. For example, while washing
dishes, we would say, "washing." At other times, we might note
listening, or typing, or relaxing, or chewing, or cutting, or
- We can say the word once, or we can repeat it constantly
during the activity, e.g., "washing washing washing washing
washing" and so on.
- We can use additional words. Instead of simply saying
"pleasure" (for example), we might say a phrase, e.g., "Pleasure
is happening again."
- We can use noting meditation with other forms of meditation.
Other authors have mentioned noting in its application to
mindfulness meditation, thought meditation, moving meditation,
walking meditation, and breathing exercises.
- We can be more explicit. For example, instead of "washing," we
might define the various stages of washing, e.g.,
"scrubbing" or "rinsing." Similarly, in our noting of emotions, we
might go from a vague "sadness" to a more-specific
"disappointment." And instead of noting "thinking," we might note
"worrying." However, our attempt to be more precise might require
too much mental analysis; for example, while we are wondering
whether an emotion should be noted as "fear" or "anxiety," we are
not being attentive to the emotion itself.
Looking for a better life?
Trans4mind Training - our series of online, interactive video workshops - presents the most effective methods of personal development, combined with support from expert life coaches. The human heart made visible.
A great way to support your Trans4mind Training is to use these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!