Jump to the following topics:
- What is meaning?
meaning and "the meaning of life."
- The benefits from
- Techniques for
What is meaning? It can be explained
in various ways:
- Meaning is a quality which signifies that an object is
important in ways which cannot be fully explained in terms of
functionality. For example, a hammer is simply a functional
object which has no meaning; however, this hammer could
have meaning if, for example, it was given to us by a beloved
relative, or it is an antique, or it was used on our first job
- Meaning is a quality which evokes particular feelings: awe,
reverence, respect, devotion, care, concern, cherishing, etc. We
discern meaning through our feelings and intuition.
- Meaning is a quality which we ascribe to something which we
"value"; i.e., if something is meaningful to us, we value it.
- The word's synonyms include "significance" and "importance."
Personal meaning and "the meaning of
life." Meaning exists on both the personal and impersonal level.
- Personal meaning. For example, we might discover meaning in a
marriage or relationship, or parenthood, or giving assistance and
love to individuals, or contributing to society in general
(through a job or volunteer work), or our spiritual exploration of
life. We have meaning when we can answer the questions, "Who am
I?" and "Why am I here?"
- The meaning of life. In addition to our personal sense of
meaning, there might be a universal meaning for our
existence -- a meaning which underlies all experience for all of
us. Philosophers have speculated that the meaning of life is that
it presents opportunities to learn to love, or to explore
spiritual truth, or to discover our divine nature. The belief in a
universal meaning can be constructive as long we do not deny our
own personal meanings; for example, if we accept the religious
idea that the meaning of life is found in service to mankind, we
are betraying ourselves if we abandon our family (in which we find
meaning) in an effort to find meaning in the abstract religious
idea of service.
The benefits from
- Meaning gives guidance. In many decisions, our choice is (1) a
meaningful activity or (2) a less-meaningful activity. If we know
what is important to us, this decision-making process is easier.
- Meaning grants context and continuity. Meaning is a central
theme, from which our life makes sense. Our individual activities
and goals are not random occurrences; instead, they are extensions
from this theme.
- Meaning grants strength. If our lives have meaning, we can
experience peace and courage even when we are struggling and
- Meaning grants satisfaction. When we are performing a
meaningful activity, the activity itself is emotionally rewarding,
even if the results are not perfect or even successful; "we fought
the good fight."
- Archetypal field-work.
Intuition. Meaning becomes apparent to us through our
feelings, which is one means by which our intuition expresses
itself. We can also use intuition itself to direct us toward the
activities which are meaningful; then, intuition will tell us how
to interact with these meaningful activities such that we fulfill
We can make a list of the things which are meaningful to us.
What do we care about? What is most satisfying in our life? What
causes the most happiness? What is in our daydreams and fantasies?
What are our aspirations? What were our goals when we were
We can discriminate between our own meaning and the meaning
which is presented by external forces. Many people try to tell us
what should be important to us; those people include
parents, religious leaders, politicians, the media, celebrities,
advertisers, etc. But meaning is a very intimate matter which is
based upon our own feelings and intuition.
- Self-talk. For example: "Life has meaning." "I enjoy
finding the personal meaning in things." "I take care of the
things that are meaningful to me."
- Directed imagination. For example, we can visualize
ourselves tenderly caring for something which has meaning to
- Energy toning. When we encounter things which are
meaningful to us, we can cultivate energy tones such as love,
affection, fondness, awe, cherishing, etc.
- The "as-if" principle. When we discern the meaningful
things in our life, we can act out the role of a person who
cares for those things -- treating them with respect, and
growing them into a substantial part of our life.
Looking for a better life?
Trans4mind Training is our series of online, interactive video workshops. We present the most effective methods of personal development, combined with support from expert life coaches.
The human heart made visible.
A great way to support your Trans4mind Training is to use these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!