Since he has been on Earth, Man has had to face a dangerous environment. As population increased, the need arose to share knowledge and organize resources. Language and conceptual thinking developed in sophistication, with specialized brain centers becoming adapted for the task. Teaching of young people concentrated on this rational aspect of intellect, which is a left brain activity, and right brain functions (including intuitive and emotional processing) were no longer part of the masculine stereotype. But this limited form of intelligence has its problems.
The Middle East conflict and many other events preceding and inevitably to follow, show that something is missing. The Western world is full of IQ teaching oriented to the left brain - rational and irrational focused thought processes, but not a single school for EQ (Emotional Intelligence) which fully encompasses and integrates right brain activity - non-verbal thought processes including emotions based on perception of real experience and holistic understanding and the resulting intuitive feelings.
There is clearly a great need for an increased understanding and practice of Emotional Intelligence in our culture. In the world of business, factors that are really important to succeed in an ethical manner are dependent on EQ: the cooperation of employees, creativity and open-mindedness, understanding of another's point of view, ability to use empathy in negotiations, the quality of leadership and communication.
These factors are equally important in the running of schools, health services, local government and politics. They are an essential part of our personal and spiritual development and perhaps most importantly, they are principles that our children need to be taught.
Intelligence of the heart is lacking in our culture, so that all too often, instead of acting with integrated reason and feelings, we react with the emotional maturity of spoilt children...
- Instead of being recognized and understood consciously, emotions are suppressed or resisted, giving them subconscious power. They then drive our behavior, and we use our rational intelligence to justify such behavior.
- Instead of remaining mindful in the moment, we are drawn into perplexing about past failures or worrying about future outcomes.
- Instead of conscious persons who understand why they feel and consequently behave as they do, we have become subconsciously driven and susceptible to cultural conditioning - even hypnosis and brainwashing.
- Instead of being true to our natural open-minded and compassionate selves, we compromise to please others or manipulate others to gain advantage. Our unempathic and unethical behavior - and the corresponding lies and rationalizations that result - destroy our spiritual integrity. Because we don't live according to our values, we are unhappy.
In the whole of life, you have only two ways:
- The way of Love and its components: empathy, trust, certainty, acceptance, understanding, etc...
- The way of Fear and its components: lies, refusal to understand, harmful acts, withheld communication, etc...
As we create every second, our creation is either towards light or darkness. And God, which is the sum of all consciousness, encompasses both our light and our darkness. Earth experience is mainly the opportunity to decide which way (towards light or dark) we want to create.
You can see that emotional intelligence is the doorway to Spiritual Intelligence (SQ).
"As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery... we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness." ~ Danah Zohar
Underlying both intellectual intelligence (IQ) and emotion intelligence (EQ) is our spiritual intelligence (SQ) - our capacity for developing meaning, vision and value. It allows us to dream and to strive. It underlies the things we believe in and the role our beliefs and values play in the actions that we take. The higher our SQ, the more we are truly ourselves, mindful of our being and not hiding behind reactive emotions nor conditioned belief systems.
The standard IQ test measures rational intelligence: the skills we use to solve logical or strategic problems. For a long time, IQ results were considered the best measurement of a person's potential for success. But in the early 1990s Daniel Goleman pointed out that success is also dependent on emotional intelligence: the thinking that gives us empathy, compassion, and the ability to respond appropriately rather than simply react. In practice this tells us a lot about how a person will get on in social situations, including the workplace, and more closely correlates with success in life overall than IQ.
Spiritual Intelligence is even more fundamental, however. Spiritual intelligence represents our drive for meaning and connection with the infinite. Spiritual intelligence also helps us discern true principles that are part of our conscience.
"High SQ demands the most intense personal integrity. It demands that we stand open to experience, that we recapture our ability to see life and others afresh, as though through the eyes of a child, to learn how to tap into our intuition and visualization, as a powerful means of using our inner knowing to "make a difference." It demands that we cease to seek refuge in what we know and constantly explore and learn from what we do not know. It demands that we live the questions rather than the answers." ~ Danah Zohar
Computers have high IQ of a sort, animals show some degree of EQ, but only humans have SQ - the ability to access inner knowing and as a result to creatively change the rules, alter situations, and question why we are here. Our SQ makes the best use of our IQ and EQ. Spiritual intelligence is what makes us uniquely human (body, mind and spirit integrated as one). This is the spirit authentically having a human experience, rather than being dragged along half asleep. We are capable of mindfulness, and spiritual qualities such as the ability to show forgiveness, to express gratitude, to be humble, to display compassion. Fortunately, all kinds of intelligence can be developed.
Please click on the links below for more information...
'Understanding and Releasing Emotions'
'Discover a Child's Genius'
'A Natural Process for Opening the Heart'
'Hearts Made Strong' by Shirley Napp
'The Shadow People: A woman's battle with multiple personality disorder'
A short story by Angel Shadow
'Are You Trying Too Hard to Be Happy?'
'Spiritual Intelligence in Emerging Leadership' by George Kunnath
Video: 'Consciousness, a Quantum Physics Perspective'
with review by William T. Hathaway
'Spiritual Intelligence & The Celestine Prophecy
Tools for Emotional & Spiritual Intelligence
The 'Emotional Intelligence' PDF version of this site is ideal for reading offline and printing.
Emotional Intelligence Articles
- Developing Emotional Muscle - by Mary Allen
- How the Body Handles Stress (1/5) - by Angel Shadow
- Locating Your Personal Triggers (2/5) - by Angel Shadow
- Handling Out of the Blue Anxiety and Panic Attacks (3/5) - by Angel Shadow
- Waking Up With an Anxiety Attack - by Angel Shadow (4/5)
- Why Proper Breathing Works - by Angel Shadow (5/5)
- Multiple Personalities & Unresolved Emotions - by Angel Shadow
- Narcissism and the Narcissistic Society - by Peter Bloch
- The Rational Person - by Peter Bloch
- Anger and Vengeance - by Mary S. Brock
- Turning Fear into Power - by Connie Butler
- Making Brilliant Decisions - by Connie Butler
- Are You Controlling? (Quiz) - by Deepak Chopra
- When To Let Go - by Deepak Chopra
- Overcoming Fear - by Ian Cameron
- Energy Psychology: Overcome Irrational Fear, Anger and Anxiety - by Dondi Dahlin
- 10 Ways To Snap Out Of Apathy - by Barrie Davenport
- Anxiety and Depression - by Paul David
- Suffer from Anxiety and Panic? Your Questions Answered - by Paul David
- Anxiety and Loss of Confidence - by Paul David
- Happiness Is Free and It's Easier Than You Think! - by Hale Dwoskin
- Freedom from Resistance - by Hale Dwoskin
- 7 Ways to Soothe Your Shyness - by Roger Elliott
- Key to Personal Development: Releasing Anger - by the Urban Monk
- How NLP and Metaphysics Can Improve the Emotional Wellbeing of Employees - by Piercarla Garusi
- Conquering Fear - by Chris Green
- The Release - by Meilena Hauslendale
- How Colors Affect Emotions - by Dr. Doris Jeanette
- Emotional Health or Emotional Wellness? - by Dr. Doris Jeanette
- Is It Healthy Emotional Flow or It Is Unhealthy Ego Control? - by Dr. Doris Jeanette
- Reacting Emotionally? - by Dr. Doris Jeanette
- Are You an Energy Awareness Expert? - by Doris Jeanette, Psy.D.
- Your Identity ~ Is it Money or Soul? - by Doris Jeanette, Psy.D.
- Kissing Meets Your Pleasure Needs - by Doris Jeanette, Psy.D.
- Who and What Do You Resonate With? - by Doris Jeanette, Psy.D.
- How To Clear Your Self Limiting Beliefs Quickly and Easily - by Mohamad Latiff
- Three Stress Relief Techniques - by David Leonhardt
- How To Honor Your Emotions In Times of Difficulty - by Kim Loftis
- The Heartbeat of Intelligence - by Elaine Matthews
- Your Emotional Power - by Steve Mensing
- 5 Steps to Weathering Your Personal Storms - by Mary Lyn Miller
- The Power of Emotional Writing - by Gurpreet Narang
- Managing Your Life's Stresses and Anxieties - by Stan Popovich
- Stay Positive in the Face of Negativity - by Lori Radun
- The New Traffic Light - Stop, Slow and Listen - by Lori Radun
- The Keys to Increased Confidence - by Lori Radun
- Psychotherapy for Anxiety - by Deanne Repich
- Understanding Early Morning Anxiety - by Deanne Repich
- We're All Doing The Best We Can... - by Mike Robbins
- Resisting or Allowing? A Simple Choice for Life - by Patrice Robson
- Good Grief - by Natasha J. Rosewood
- Alleviating Anxiety with Zensight Process - by Carol Ann Rowland
- Do You Know Your 'Tipping Point'? - by Claudette Rowley
- Regret, Remorse, and Guilt - by Dharmbir Rai Sharma
- Do You Get Caught Up in the Same Old Reactions? - by Karen Sherman
- Advice To Improve Your Emotional Intelligence - by Andy Smith
- How You Can Use Self-Hypnosis To Cure Your Anxieties - by Cory Threlfall
- What You Need to Know About Depression - by Debra Tullis
- How Hypnosis Works - by Martin Tyrrell
- Resentment vs. Anger - by Carla Valencia
- Integrity First: Living the Honor Code - by Waldo Waldman
- The Pattern of the Emotions - by Ken Ward
- Depression: My Story - by Rebecca White
- Fear... Not - by Karen Wright
- The Resistance Rut - by Karen Wright
- The Heart Journal: A Spiritual Workbook - by Carna Zacharias
- How to Gain a Good Self-Esteem - by Carna Zacharias-Miller
- Are You Trying Too Hard to Be Happy? - by Carna Zacharias-Miller
- Healing "Missing Mother Syndrome" with EFT - by Carna Zacharias-Miller
- Healing the Wounded Inner Child with EFT - by Carna Zacharias-Miller
- 10 Steps to Heal Your Grief - by Roe Ziccarello
- What is Emotional Intelligence? Part 1: Self-Awareness - by Dr. Alan Zimmerman
- What is Emotional Intelligence? Part 2: Self-Management - by Dr. Alan Zimmerman
- What is Emotional Intelligence? Part 3: Social Awareness - by Dr. Alan Zimmerman
- What is Emotional Intelligence? Part 4: Relationship Management - by Dr. Alan Zimmerman
- Inspirational Quotes about Emotional Intelligence
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Inspiring Quotes of the Week