A healthy home
Your home is your castle. You decide, possibly together with
family members, what to make of it.
Outside our home we have limited opportunities to improve
the environment, but in our home we can do a lot.
At home we want to feel free, relax and do things that we
like. We want to eat, sleep, exercise, maybe work, and
socialize with friends and family. We spend many hours at
home. Naturally, we want our home to be as comfortable and
healthy as possible.
What surroundings make you happy? What things do you like to
have around you? Feeling good at home is a matter of
physical as well as mental and social well-being. Look
around you and think about what changes can be made in your
home environment. Start with something small, one step at a
time. Make a small change every day, and after a week the
difference will be considerable.
Your home 'a place for personal growth and well-being
Your home should be a refuge where you can hide from the
rest of the world and find strength to go on with life. Why
not follow these ten steps:
1. Put away things that you don't need. Too many things
disturb the eye and make it hard to relax. Only surround
yourself with things that you need or things that will
enrich your life.
2. Stick to a few colours 'two or three 'for each room,
instead of mixing many different colours. This will help you
create a calm and balanced atmosphere.
3. Make sure you have good ventilation. Leave doors between
rooms open for better air circulation, and open windows when
4. Don't smoke in your home. Ask your visitors to smoke
5. Choose area rugs instead of carpets when possible.
6. Use cleaning products with low-toxic content.
7. Choose furniture and fittings made of non-toxic
8. Make sure your sleeping place is comfortable and healthy.
The pillow is important. Do you often wake up with a
headache? You might need a new pillow.
9. Make your kitchen table as pleasant and welcoming as
possible. When you sit down to eat you must be able to relax
and enjoy your meal. Are there papers or magazines on the
table? Too many different colours? Keep it simple and
10. Buy some new flowers for your home. Decorate your home
with candle lights. Small simple things like these will
influence your well-being.
About the Author
Ingela Berger started her own Internet business
in 2003 to encourage others to make reality of their dreams of a personal, healthy and fulfilling lifestyle. Ingela has studied theatre directing, history of art, and leadership psychology. After some years working with art exhibitions and the theatre she is now back at school to become a health and lifestyle consultant.