Values Clarification – Values List
Richard Michaels & Sharon Brown
Coaching for Transformation
Asking clarifying questions
Look at snapshots of when your life was really sweet—times when you were fully honoring what was most important to you. What made it sweet?
Recall the challenging times in your life. What were the lessons learned?
Tell me a song that you love, or a movie. What about that makes it special for you?
Look at times when you were particularly upset or angry. What was missing for you?
More coaching questions you can ask to elicit values:
When was a time you felt passionate about your life or work?
When was your life or work particularly meaningful or fulfilling?
What were the greatest lessons you learned from adversity?
What was a time when you felt fully energized about your life?
What insights do these times reveal about your life purpose?
What do you stand for?
What legacy do you want to leave?
What are three intentions you have for your future?
What is a purpose you feel called to fulfill?
Where the importance of a value isn’t clear, the client can envision a situation where it is not possible to honor the value. We can ask, what does it feel like without that value present? The degree of discomfort will reveal how important the value is.
Listening for values in peak experiences We ask clients to share a “peak” experience, one in which life was wonderful, full, rich and “just right.” A peak experience may be a major life experience or a small incident. We ask what stands out about each experience. Look for the qualities of the experience, the interactions and the source of fulfillment.
Questions we can ask are:
What was it about this experience that made it special?
What values were being honored?
What’s the one value you’d most like to pass on to others (a mentee, your children or someone you care about) as the key to a fulfilling life?
If there were no chance of being laughed at or left out, what would be the most important value you’d like to express through your life?
Defining moments and metaphors for values
To further ground values, we can explore a client’s defining moments or high points and use metaphors to create a reference point for the impact of the values. This helps them reconnect with the specific experience and energetic qualities that embodied particular values.
Where a client’s values are clear, we ask them to remember a defining moment when they honored the value fully. Alternatively, where it would help to discover values, we ask them to remember and describe a defining moment, and listen for the values they were honoring at that time.
As a revealing exercise, we can ask clients to prioritize their top seven values and remember a time when they honored each to the fullest. For each value we ask:
What defining moment epitomizes each value?
What is a metaphor that helps you visualize the defining moment?
What is a metaphor that catches the essence of the experience?
When exploring these defining moments with clients, we have them talk about the moment or the metaphor and watch them step out of their head and into an experience and feeling of the value. If they are talking about the experience and value as if telling a story, invite them to step back into the actual experience or ask them how the experience lives in their body.
Excerpt from the book Coaching for Transformation: Pathways to Ignite Personal & Social Change by Martha Lasley, Virginia Kellogg, Richard Michaels and Sharon Brown. As faculty at Leadership that Works, they certify coaches who offer personal, organization and community transformation. Check out the free Power of Coaching teleclass.
Coaching is life-changing, world-changing work. The coaching programs at Leadership that Works go beyond theories and models and work with clients on a deeper level. You learn how to coach the whole person: physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Whole person Transformation.
Transforming the world.
Looking for a better life?
A great way to support your Trans4mind Training is to use these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life