Inspiring Quotes of the Week + Bonuses!
Common Facilitation Mistakes
By Martha Lasley
- Choosing a venue that is too small, poorly lit, has uncomfortable seating or low energy
- Launching right in without providing a road map of where you are headed
- Sticking to the planned program rather than meeting needs of participants right now
- Allowing uneven participation or giving more air time to extroverts or people from the dominant culture
- Getting participants to talk to the facilitators rather than to each other
- Not allowing enough time for debriefing – where the real learning takes place
- Making yourself the center of attention
- Asking questions you already know the answers to - to reach the predetermined outcome
- Shutting down “difficult” participants instead of honoring their positive intention
- Scolding people for isms or micro-aggressions, rather than exploring the impact
- Intervening too often rather than trusting the group process
- Failing to focus on learning objectives or results
- Pretending you didn’t mess up, instead of leveraging the learning for the group
- Speaking before you have the full attention of the group
- Whispering to your co-facilitator so that participants are left wondering what’s happening
- Giving long confusing instructions or changing instructions when asked to repeat them
- Avoiding real conversations by hiding behind power point or flip charts
- Defending yourself when a participant expresses anger - rather than taking it in
- Offering inauthentic praise instead of owning your experience (sharing the actual impact the person is having on you or the group)
- Failing to elicit the specific learning or application during the debrief
- Hearing from several people near each other, rather than moving the focus around the room
- Avoiding exploring withholds with your co-facilitator
- Stepping over discomfort rather than exploring it
- Squeezing too much in without time for integration
- Lacking awareness of power dynamics
- Choosing who gets to speak based on who raised their hand first, rather than who has not spoken
- Moving on without affirming participants’ contributions
- Pretending you have it all together when you don’t
- Not allowing your co-facilitator enough space to contribute
- Putting group process ahead of learning or learning ahead of group process.
- Yelling at the group to be quiet or not knowing how to take charge / lead the group
- Proving how smart you are instead of eliciting wisdom from the participants.
Coaching is life-changing, world-changing work. The coaching programs at Leadership that Works go beyond theories and models and work with clients on a deeper level. You learn how to coach the whole person: physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. Whole person Transformation.
Transforming the world.
One heart at a time.
From our extensive site, you'll find good info on many topics using this search:
Looking for a better life?
Trans4mind Training is our series of online, interactive video workshops. We present the most effective methods of personal development, combined with support from expert life coaches.
The human heart made visible.
A great way to support your Trans4mind Training is to use these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!