What To Do When You Doubt You Can Achieve Your Dream
By Brian Kim
On the journey toward the accomplishment of your dream, there will be times when you will severely doubt that you can achieve it. That's perfectly normal. Don't think you're weak because of it. In fact, that doubt only serves to make you stronger.
It usually starts out with you doing something that doesn't go the way you thought it would. Perhaps you bombed the job interview of your dreams. The bank didn't give you the loan for your business. One of your clients fired you.
You then start a dangerous downward spiral. You imagine the worse case scenario that ensues because what you worked on doesn't go the way you planned. You get that sinking feeling in your gut. You start questioning yourself as to whether or not you should keep on pursuing your dream. Hope is dwindling. The fears are piling. You're about ready to throw in the towel. What do you do then?
Take deep breaths...
Why? Three reasons...
When you do that, really concentrate on your breathing.
- It gets you back in the present moment.
At the point when you are most down, you are probably projecting the worse case scenario way into the future. You have to travel back to this present moment in time because that is all that matters. Not the past, not the future, but now. NOW.
- It reminds you that YOU are in control.
When you concentrate on your breathing, you become aware that it is YOU that is controlling YOU. You tap back into your power of personal responsibility. You are in control of yourself. You and nobody else. It is only YOU who makes or breaks YOU.
- It clears your head
Your mind was probably like a tornado when you were spiraling down, thinking of every conceivable worse case scenario, but when you concentrate on breathing, you go back to simplicity. You clear your head of all that negativity and all that's on your mind now is the simple act of breathing.
After you do that, then what?
- Focus on what you want.
Stop focusing on what you don't want. That's what caused your downward spiral in the first place. Now that you're back in the present moment and know that you're in control, start to focus on what you want to happen. Visualize it. Repeat the end goal you want to achieve over and over again in your mind. This shifts your focus away from your fears and back onto your dreams. Now what?
- Ask How.
I love the word how. Ask yourself how you can move toward your goals today. List some action items you can do today to move toward your goals to alleviate any doubt and fears and execute them.
The reason why how is such a powerful word is that it silently bypasses any lingering doubts you have. The very nature of using the word how implies, or is contingent upon the fact that you believe you'll succeed. How can I get that job? How can I get that business loan? How can I get that client back? You already know it's going to happen. Now it's just a question of how.
Then, when you take action on those items, your fears and doubt will slowly start to dissipate and you'll get back into your flow again.
Many people immediately try to jump directly into action mode when things are bad, but that doesn't really work. You've got to come back to the present moment, realize you're in control, focus on what you want, figure out what you can do now on how to get what you want, and THEN implement those action items.
Rebuild the foundation first. Then take action. You'll feel a lot better afterwards. I guarantee it.
Copyright © 2009 Brian Kim, All Rights Reserved
Brian Kim is an internationally known writer with the ability to inspire and provide people all over the world with high quality DEFINITIVE information on self improvement that they can use to invest in themselves, their greatest asset, in order to make their dreams come true.
From our extensive site, you'll find good info on many topics using this search:
Looking to become more successful?
Trans4mind Training - our series of online, interactive video workshops - presents the most effective methods of personal development, combined with support from expert life coaches. The human heart made visible.
A great way to support your Trans4mind Training is to use these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
This is our selection of favorites, but there's a session for every need! Choose from over 800 Hypnosis Downloads...
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
The iAwake Profound Meditation Program is a way of enhancing your meditation practice, making meditation not only easier and more enjoyable, but also more efficient and effective.
Profound Meditation provides the smoothest, deepest, richest, most profound meditation experience available anywhere...
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life
Here is a link to a free 20-minute track from iAwake Technologies - a sample of the type of tools that will deepen your meditation immediately and help you quickly become a successful meditator. It's the opening track of iAwake's flagship product, the Profound Meditation Program, called the iAwake Experience...
I think you'll find this technology a tremendous aid on your transformative journey of becoming your best and most creative self - and you can get started today!