The Caterpillar and the Butterfly: the Law of Transformation
"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly." --Richard Bach
This quote, despite its simplicity, is my favorite quote of all time because in its simplicity it expresses the complex cycle of all existence. Everything that can be called life continually, willingly, destroys itself in order to renew itself.
We see this in physical terms when we observe the processes of nature: from the cycle of the seasons, to natural "disasters," to the evaporation of water. And yes, from the transformation of the caterpillar into the butterfly. We see it in our own bodies too as our cells willingly die in order to be replaced with new ones: we can scratch our heads and watch dead skin cells fall to the ground and though we can't see it, the cells within us die off too so that our organs are continuously regenerated.
Which leads me to pondering: since physical life is a mirror of nonphysical life, wouldn't physical law provide a hint into universal law? I believe it does. We see this Law of Transformation happening not only in nature and in our bodies, but in spiritual and psychological terms as well.
In spiritual terms the Soul destroys and renews its physical forms just as nature does. Those physical forms happen to be us. It continually, willingly, creates and destroys various physical selves in an eternal cycle in order to renew, expand, and grow.
As a human being we are born and we die much like the leaf of a tree is born and dies. But we are the tree too. The tree part of us is our inner being, the Soul. We are uncomfortable with this process when we do not understand that we are the tree and that we live on even as we "die." If we look upon death through the eyes of the caterpillar, we see the end of ourselves. But if we look through the eyes of the Master within, the Soul, we see death as a mere transition into more.
Psychologically the Law of Transformation is well under operation too. Old beliefs must die and be replaced with new ones if we want to grow--and if we don't replace them we remain stunted and lifeless in our being. Since belief is cause it determines the circumstances we attract into our lives and so it is natural and normal and healthy that circumstances also be destroyed and created fresh: a marriage ends, we become ill, we lose our job.
When we resist these little "deaths" we miss the opportunity they provide for personal transformation. If that is the case, we simply regenerate new circumstances that sadly mirror the old ones and nothing in our lives appears to change. However, when we understand that these "end of the world" moments are pivotal to our life purpose we can make the leap towards knowing and fulfilling that purpose.
A caterpillar event occurs and we have the choice to view it from the caterpillar's perspective (the limited view of the ego/personality) or from the Master's perspective (the eternal view of the Soul.) From the Master's perspective a disaster is not a disaster at all but the necessary and wonderful adventure into a bigger life--the butterfly life.
But in order for that adventure to take place we must develop such a deep level of trust and faith in the unknown that we leap into it willingly and enthusiastically and tell our confidence and courage to simply catch up with us later. That is the work we must do. It is rooted in alignment, not struggle.
I believe that the Law of Transformation is at work right now not only in the individual life, but in the collective life as well: in humanity's collective Soul. All around us we see a world breaking down--financial crisis, environmental crisis, political crisis, religious and ethnic crisis in the forms of war and terrorism. Could it be that this is not the end of the world, but the call to transition as a human race to the next level of our evolution? Are we simply collectively transforming from the caterpillar to the butterfly?
I believe we are. What a glorious time! To make this leap successful requires every individuated aspect of the collective Soul--every human being--to make a personal leap of faith in their own lives and to choose to commit to finding and fulfilling their individual purpose for being here. Instead of viewing the current circumstance of your life as disastrous, what if you chose to view them as the bugle call to greater happiness, freedom, and a more meaningful way of living?
Commit to get to know the Master within you. It is so powerfully and patiently waiting to share with you its wisdom, humor, and secrets. The Master, your own Soul, is a great magician who knows how to manifest your every need so that you may fulfill your purpose. When you agree to get on the path to purpose you will delightfully discover that freedom, prosperity, health, love, creativity, wisdom and joy are your natural state of being.
It is frightening to leave the safe ground where the caterpillar dwells and to enter a cocoon of unknowingness. But the reward, the sweet reward...is to discover your capability for flight.
Melody Larson is an inspiring author, teacher, presenter and Soul Purpose Guide whose mission is to awaken people to the spiritual potential that lies within them. She's the author of 2 books: the newly released Delighting the Soul and the highly popular The Beginner's Guide to Abundance. Melody also teaches affordable online webinars, with her husband Thomas, that help others live in the Now by applying the teachings of Eckhart Tolle, Byron Katie, and others.
See the beautiful video that accompanies this article
Recommended for you...
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- Quit Smoking Pack ~ Watch this video to learn why the right sort of hypnosis can help you quit smoking in a whole different way.
- Mindfulness Meditation Pack ~ Get the very most from every moment of every day and develop a deep well of inner calm.
- Let Go of the Past ~ This program will set you free to make the most of your life.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Get Over a Relationship ~ Heal your broken heart and move on with your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Holosync is the most powerful meditation, personal growth and mind development tool available. Meditating with the aid of Holosync is effortless and deeply relaxing - plus it enables you to make quantum leaps in awareness and emotional health...