Hormone may be the secret to beating stress
By Avis Favaro, CTV News medical specialist
Shelley Taylor, a University of California at Los Angeles psychology professor and the author of The Tending Instinct, says women may have a built-in hormonal advantage when it comes to dealing with chronic stress.
"Women are more likely to deal with stress socially by calling people up on the phone to talk to friends," Taylor said.
Taylor's theory is based on more than 200 studies by other researchers, work that points to the hormone oxytocin.
"The propensity to seek others out, to communicate, to keep others in close proximity, none of this seems to be learned behavior," Taylor told CTV. "We call it 'tend or defend' -- the way women turn to each other for moral support in times of stress.
"And oxytocin, we believe, is a player."
Oxytocin is a hormone produced in the brain. It often has calming effects. It's associated with typically female behaviors like nurturing. It's also secreted during touch and massage, and has been shown to stimulate bonding among some animal groups.
"Warm contacts seem to increase oxytocin, and oxytocin increases the need for those kinds of contact. So they feed back into each other and so social contact itself is often very soothing," Taylor said.
Men respond to stress, generally, with something called fight or flight response -- blood pressure goes up, and they rev into action. Or they back off, withdraw into isolation, according to Dr. Mark Berber, a psychiatrist at Markham General Hospital.
"When I ask men who are distressed if they have a friend, a bud they can talk to, I am continuously surprised how few have one good friend," Berber said. "When I ask women, more often they say yes -- I have a friend I can talk to."
Men do produce oxytocin. But its effects are largely cancelled by the male hormone testosterone.
"Men do bond, but they don't bond in as intimate a way as women do," Berber said. "And they need to learn to be a bit more expressive."
But research in animals suggests that adding oxytocin to the body could prove a potent anti-stress treatment. It could be used to promote relaxation, friendliness and nurturing abilities.
Studies in Stockholm suggest that daily oxytocin injections, in both male and female rats, decrease blood pressure and the stress hormone cortisol. It may also improve relaxation and cut down on fearfulness.
While they work on the oxytocin solution, scientists think men might just learn from women on how human bonding may be an important and often-overlooked stress-buster.
"Researchers are saying this is interesting," Taylor said. "Why has it taken us so long to realize that women are more social in dealing with stress, and discovering the biochemical reasons why."
Looking for greater wellbeing?
A great way to support your Trans4mind Training is to use these popular and effective hypnosis downloads...
- Public Speaking Fear ~ Banish speaking anxiety and nerves with hypnosis.
- Motivate Yourself to Exercise ~ Build a powerful exercise habit that you can't break.
- Get Rid of Fear & Anxiety ~ Stop worry and apprehension wrecking your life.
- Self Esteem ~ Break the negative trance of low self esteem and give yourself a chance in life.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
Welcome to the New Wave in Meditation Technology
- Establish a daily practice that sticks
- Enhance your focus, flow, and performance
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and depression
- Evolve and deepen your spiritual life