How the Body Handles Stress
Stress is something no one is immune to. We all experience it in one way or another, and have different triggers that set off our stress alarms. It all comes down to how we react to the situations we find ourselves in, and believe it or not, it's not the situation we're stressed over, it's our emotional reaction to it. Personal triggers play a huge role in "why" we allow stress to overwhelm us. We'll talk about personal triggers in detail in the next article.
Learning to deal with stress is difficult for most individuals because we are programmed at a very young age to react to certain stimuli in a very specific manner. Once we become aware of these programmed response patterns, we can overcome them. Managing stress has to become a conscious act on our part, otherwise, the patterns will continue to repeat themselves. One of the first steps in overcoming this programming is to become aware of our stress habits.
Stress habits can range from programmed emotional responses, like anger and fear, to physical responses, such as headaches and muscle tension. Our bodies are trained to react in a certain way, and they will always follow what the mind tells them to do. That's why becoming aware of our thought patterns is so important. We literally need to teach our bodies to react differently to personal triggers generated by our minds.
We can change programmed emotional responses, like anger and fear, by catching ourselves the moment it begins. It may feel uncomfortable to some, but since our bodies react to our thoughts, we need to start internally talking to our bodies. When we feel ourselves becoming angry or fearful, we need to stop and ask ourselves why we feel this way. It's easy to justify our own anger and fear by placing the blame on someone or something else, but at some point, we need to take responsibility for our emotional reactions. Sometimes people are going to make us angry, and we'll feel we have every right to be angry. But if we're ever going to control our reaction to stressful stimuli, we have to be the ones in control. A person or situation will only make us angry if we allow them to. That is something we're always in control of.
We are also in control of our physical reactions to stress. Reactions like tension headaches and muscle soreness can be controlled once we allow our bodies to relax, and react in a different manner. No matter what situation we find ourselves in, we can usually take a moment to stop and get in touch with our mind/body connection. The key is to stop the stress response before it gets out of hand, and ask ourselves what about the situation is causing our emotional reaction. Why are we angry? Defensive? Fearful? Frustrated? Locate the answer to that, and we are suddenly in control of our emotions, instead of our emotions being in control of us. At this point, we can change the way we react to the situation.
Chronic, unresolved stress will lead to an overwhelmed nervous system, and an overwhelmed nervous system will lead to anxiety and negative physical reactions. Our bodies will always respond in this manner, and until we take conscious action to change it, they will continue to do so. Our bodies don't know how to handle it differently until we teach it to. Our thoughts play a powerful role in how our bodies react. Telling our bodies, "No! We are going to react differently this time!" will start a chain reaction within the body. Most individuals feel our bodies are some separate entity that we have no control over. This is not the case. Remember, our bodies react in the way we instruct them to. So taking control of our emotional reactions, and telling our bodies to react differently, will lead to better control of our stress. Better stress control will lead to a healthy, well-balanced nervous system, and a healthy, well-balanced nervous system means less anxiety and negative physical symptoms.
Our mind and bodies are not separate. The thought process taking place in our minds will dictate how the body reacts. Reprogramming the mind/body connection takes effort on our part. But if we stay focused and consciously aware of what signals we're sending our bodies, we can change this programming. It won't happen overnight (at least for most), but keep at it. If our intent is strong and focused, our ability to handle stressful situations will be under control.
Copyright © 2006 Angel Shadow, All rights reserved.
This is the first of a six article series on stress/anxiety. My ancestry is Irish and Cherokee Indian and I have a gypsy spirit that refuses to be fenced in. I am definitely not a conformist. Much of my life was spent under the control of others. My childhood was full of abuse and neglect, which lead me to my volunteer abuse work. It also lead to anxiety and panic attacks, which I suffered from for years, so I'm dedicated to helping others in that area as well. I have now found my own personal freedom, based on my own personal truth and nothing could be more liberating.
Recommended for you...
Most popular hypnosis downloads...
- Quit Smoking Pack ~ Watch this video to learn why the right sort of hypnosis can help you quit smoking in a whole different way.
- Mindfulness Meditation Pack ~ Get the very most from every moment of every day and develop a deep well of inner calm.
- Let Go of the Past ~ This program will set you free to make the most of your life.
- The Next Level ~ Designed to radically boost your performance in any field. It's based on a technique used by top athletes and other successful people to help them make a big stride forward.
- Create Your Own Reality ~ Use the power of your unconscious mind to transform your life.
- Deeper Self Respect ~ Use hypnosis to connect with your true inner worth.
- Detach From Fear ~ Tune out nervousness and anxiety with hypnosis.
- Generalized Anxiety Treatment ~ Use hypnosis as a generalized anxiety disorder treatment and you can feel calm today.
- Improving Concentration and Focus ~ Learn how to discipline, direct and command your mind to improve your performance.
- Exercise Motivation ~ Give you powerful keys to getting back on track with your exercise - and staying there.
- Overcoming Shyness ~ Provides an invisible security blanket allowing you to develop social ease and overcome shyness.
- Quick Confidence Booster ~ An audio hypnosis session that's specifically designed to get you (quickly!) back on track.
- Stop Negative Thoughts ~ Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start.
- Overcoming Procrastination ~ Let hypnosis help you get on with what you need to do, when you need to do it. Let nothing hold you back.
- Think Thin ~ Use hypnosis to re-train your brain and lose weight naturally... that's how to get and stay slim.
- Fall Asleep Fast ~ Relearn how to fall asleep fast and enjoy a good night's sleep.
Search now on an issue that interests or concerns you...
Holosync is the most powerful meditation, personal growth and mind development tool available. Meditating with the aid of Holosync is effortless and deeply relaxing - plus it enables you to make quantum leaps in awareness and emotional health...